Thank you for visiting!
LJ's Helping Hand Foundation was created to help and support children with special needs and their families.
Merriam defines special needs as "the individual requirements (as for education) of a person with a disadvantaged background or a mental, emotional, or physical disability or a high risk of developing one".
When a child has special needs, it affects the entire family. The need for additional appointments with doctors and therapists require more time from parents, which means less time at work, friends, or even other children. It can be very stressful trying to balance life while raising a child with special needs. Trying to stay educated to keep up with what's best for their child and family is exhausting. Battling the feeling of isolation because it feels like no one understands. And time is limited, so many parents have little time left to spend with friends or even unwind. Keeping up with the financial straind of extra appointments, medications, uncovered insurance items, even gas, is the last thing anyone would want to deal with.
Statistic from "Disability and American Families:", US Census Bureau Report.
- One out of 9 children under the age of 18 in the US today receive special education services
- Out of 72.3 million families included in the US Census Bureau Report, about 2 in every 7 reported having at least one member with a disability
- 20.9 million families have members with a disability
- Of the 20.9 million families reporting at least one member with a disability, 5.5 percent have both adults and children with a disability
- One in every 26 American families reported raising children with a disability
- One in every three families with a female householder with no husband present reported members with a disability
- An estimated 2.8 million families, 1.3 percent, reported raising two or more children with a disability
As the saying goes, "It takes a community to raise a child." LJ's Helping Hand is dedicated to creating a community so these families know they are not alone. We are here to help.